Monday 23 April 2012

A Little Of The Past


 Old Friends
Last Chinese New Year saw me meeting up with some old classmates of some 40 years ago.
40 years is not a small figure.
Not easy to have another 40 years again.
So, when Chin Tong and Lee Cheong spearheaded the meet, dad and I took the opportunity to join in.


 Ian Farrell, a peace corp in the early 70s taught physics in good old Muar High School. Back then he was also the choir teacher. I remembered going down all the way to Johor Bahru for a choir competition. Dedicated and selfless, he spent a few years in Muar teaching the local children. He walked up to me but I doubted he remembered my name. But then, who cares about names? If you were there, you must have been connected to the past. When he was the choir teacher, I thought he was much older than us; but to my surprise I found out just this time around that he is only 3 years older than us...



 We look strange to one another. Actually if not for this meet, it would have been impossible for me to recognize some of them.How we have aged.We talked about ourselves; catching up eagerly with what we have done to our lives. A couple of us have even retired. Even Ian looked twice his original size.Lee Cheong is third from the left in the second row and Chin Tong is sixth from the left.Loi Suet, the lady in the brown T-shirt is now residing in the States.


The photo above was taken in 1973. Five of us from this group met for the Chinese New Year break. Can you match them ? My daughter told me I have been naughty as my skirt was short. I told her back then it was the fashion...the shorter the better.

It is indeed nostalgic to meet again. I wonder where the rest have gone to. I pray for their well being and will we ever meet again? Maybe at some weddings. Maybe at funerals. Maybe at good old Muar.

Treaured times.

No comments:

Post a Comment