Saturday 28 April 2012

A Week Of Loss

 Two Teachers...
They have been a part of my life...
I lost 2 teachers last week in April.



 One was Dr. Hyacinth Gaudart; lovingly known as Dr. G by her protegees and proteges.Dr.G was already famous in Muar when she was my form mistress in Form 4. Having a powerful voice and a forte for acting, she soon set the school at its highest in music when she produced the Sound Of Music which attracted many viewers in town.
She left for the UK to pursue her Masters and we lost contact but to meet her again in the University of Malaya in the mid 70s. I was then doing my Diploma in Education and she became a lecturer in the Faculty of Education.She was happy to see me and not to boast; she actually peeped into my diploma results and told me I was a distinction holder being among the top scorers ! My teacher forever and forever looking after my interests.
What did I learn from her as a teacher? To be approachable, friendly and willing to share. She taught me the love for reading because she read profusely herself. You can imagine the kind of friendship she had with her students. We exchanged romantic story books. In those days we used to buy weekly love story books and then we would exchange to save cost. Now you know where all my soft spots come from.
Her penchant for teaching touched many; first among school goers and later even among adult learners in the university.
I met her a couple of times during Melta moments; she being instrumental in the body. She was always her bubbly self and ever willing to encourage and push us to higher levels. Even at my age after having a family, she expected me to go further...she was a teacher alright.

 Seen here with her is Dr. Sandra.They had been great pals since the Sound of Music days...over 50 years of friendship.This is a real friendship; in kindred and in spirit. That also goes to show the intensity of her affection and friendship she had with people.


 This is the place where we first met her...Sultan Abu Bakar Girls' School in Muar. Both Sandra and I are sad to hear the news on 20th April. But to her we again thank her for the days of learning and friendship.That she would find solace in God and rest in peace.



 If you are a Muarian, this is a familiar school to many in town. A SJKC; Chinese Vernacular school, the school has produced many top scorers in the country. So it was here too that we have lost another dedicated teacher in the person of Madam Janet Lim; the paternal grandmother to my children.
 
 Last 17April 2012, was another date for me and my family to remember by. We lost a mother and a grandmother aged 83.

 

 From news and records we know that my mother in law had always been a strict, dedicated and serious  teacher. She taught with passion and was determined to dispose her teaching duties well. She was a mother of 6 children and between running her career as a teacher and coping as a mother to so many; she was indeed brave.Her sacrifices had been many and she loved her children dearly.


 
 This lawyer, James spoke well of her. He related that his mother; also a teacher, was a good friend of hers. They met as friends in the church and soon introduced her to her brother in law. James said that 6th Aunty's greatest testament is seen in her well-brought up children and grandchildren.Her legacy can be seen in her heritage.
 Family members gathered on this day when even the skies cried; to return her to her Maker. Grace softly sang a song when the burial was done and wept as she recalled her grandmother's days.

 A consolation to us though is that she was laid beside Grandpa Lau and together they meet in Heaven in the presence of their Maker.


 Many friends spoke of her love and dedication to the Living God. She was never ever seen unfaithful to her faith and took every opportunity to spread the Good news to neighbors and walking partners in the morning.Her walk on earth must have pleased her Maker; she was the good and faithful daughter.

...Through many dangers, toils and snares
I have already come;
'Tis Grace that brought me safe thus far
and Grace will lead me home...

Thank You dear God for the mother and grandmother you gave us.

Two teachers we lost in a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment