Monday 19 September 2011

The Beef Seller

The Man



If you are familiar with the wet market in SS15 Subang Jaya you are bound to meet this beef vendor who has been in the scene for quite a while. Whenever I need beef, I will go to him. He gives generous portions and is ever ready with a big plastic bag to help me with the rest of my goods. He is so kind and helpful. He is polite and has a heart for cats. Very often you will find a cat purring closely beside him for a feed. He will oblige.
Last weekend at my usual wet market shopping, I told him I want a small portion of fillet but he gave me more than I paid. I was embarrassed at his generosity and offered to pay more to which he vehemently refused.

The beef seller : Cik gu saya sangat bersyukur kerana anak-anak saya semua sudah berjaya dan itu sebab sekolah memberi panduan. ( I am grateful for what he school has done for my children.)
Teacher : If I remember well, you have 3 children. Where are they now?
The beef seller: Oh Syaref is now an engineer, Syazawan is in the business line and Syahir will be graduating with a diploma in engineering soon.
The Teacher: UITM?
The beef seller: Where else ? That's all I can afford.
The Teacher: Oh but that is already so wonderful. I am so happy for you.
The beef seller: Yes I am grateful that they are not into vices. Thank you teacher.

Each time I meet him, he will politely acknowledge and says the school has done his children good. I am also very happy to meet him.
The beef seller and his children.
Hard not to remember them.

No comments:

Post a Comment