Sunday 21 August 2011

Covent Garden


The weather forecast in London is accurate.
It said it would rain; it did.
So the family went out that morning each with an umbrella tucked in our bags.
The rain here though is not quite like the ones back home as they are not torrential. It drizzles, stops, drizzles and the process takes its course till the weather man says a certain time. It's chilly and cold; at least to me.

So on one of the last mornings here, we could not allow ourselves to stay home; those were precious hours to us for we had to see as much of London as we could.

They say the morning market in the wee hours was a must to visit. It is supposed to resemble like the local flower market depicted in the movie "My Fair Lady"; so you can imagin my excitement.



Covent Garden looks as though it has undergone some kind of uplift as the place now is not as shabby as I first thought. In fact, it has been turned quite touristy and filled with fun and play. It reminds me of our very own Central Market.


In Malaysia our very own local market which once functioned as a wet market for the people of Kuala Lumpur has now been transformed into a tourist spot offering all kinds of beautiful products which are attractive not only to foreigners but also Malaysians.


If you visit Malaysia you must also visit the place which was built in 1888 during the days of the legendary Yap Ah Loy. Unlike Covent Garden, Central Market is air-conditioned. It also has a variety of goods and souvenirs which you will love to bring home. I go to the Central Market to buy batik clothes, bags and shoes as gifts to friends overseas. I brought some along during the trip to the UK and they delighted the hearts of my friends.


In Covent Garden I got to taste some Spanish concoctions just like the ones I see in Cook Shows on TV. The rice prepared with plenty of spices, tomatoes and potatoes was great.




I enjoyed the simple meal. It was tasty just like the ones I see in Travel shows !

Overlooking a quadrangle was this powerful singer...



She sang the everlasting tune ; Summer Time. I was wondering at the crowd who was entertained. Was it for free? Nothing is free; her comrade went all around including the crowd upstairs for a token. But she was good; the soprano.


Then Charlie Chaplin had us in stitches with his tricks...


The market has lovely gifts too...


Oh the British hats...



But they had headscarves too and I bought one here for a friend...




Beautiful articles made from lace; necklaces, brooches, earrings all creatively done.

The Covent Garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment