Saturday 13 August 2011

The Old Saying

Make Hay While The Sun Shines

I love my father. At 93, he still is exemplary and teaches me values and actions that speak louder than words.


When you meet a typical Chinese, the first greeting will be " have you had your meal?" His first understanding of basic living is ; you must be financially independent. He has taught me what it means to be frugal, spending within your means and making hay while the sun shines. He loathes lethargy, procrastination and lame plannings. He believes in planning for passive income and is humble enough to acknowledge that while he still can, he will wants to be independent and sits on his favorite stool to man a small business everyday.
When he converses with his children, he gets excited at the projects his children and grandchildren are involved in and chips in some ideas. He will humbly say he has a 'kacang putih' business ( meaning a small endeavour) and marvels at Boon Siew and Goh Chok Tong. He will end up his stories by asking the question ; why are they so smart?
But I wish to defer. I think my father is even smarter because though he is not into the millions, he is smart enough to be debt free with his basic business skills. It can be boring at times manning a small retail shop but look not down upon it. It has given him much meaning in life and the fact that he is still at it tells me that we need sustaining factors to keep us healthily alive.

In school, my staff gets frustrated when the reluctant learners bombard them with this famous retort : " My father never goes to school but he still got money. Why should we study so hard?" How do you tell them that the father belongs to a different generation and the opportunity they had differ? How do you tell them that the values and outlook they have of life are features that will see them through in life. Of course my usual reply will be: " Do you think you are able to support a wife and children if you remain this way?" That always works. To the girls it will be " hey, do you want your sons and daughters to have a mother like you?" It works too.

I don't care if they don't get their straight As. But I am disturbed if they don't make the pass grade because ... selfishly my KPI is at stake. So we try all means; persuasion, threats and promises of gifts. Most importantly, we teachers believe that they should at least acquire basic living skills and able to be self sufficient financially at one point.

Today, I am pleased to meet an ex student. In school, he has learning challenges and later at one point I was told by his parents that he enrolled in a diploma course doing accounting. I do not know the outcome of the course. He broke into a smile when he saw me.
Teacher : So you are taking over your parents' business?
Student : Yes. I think I can handle and I am willing to learn. There's no harm right teacher?
Teacher: Of course. You look after dad's business properly and let you parents rest ok?
Student: Yes, I hope to teacher.

I do not know what his parents' aspirations are but I am glad the boy is sensible, humble and willing to do the retail business. It's mundane and boring to some but I know if he continues to be hardworking and willing to learn he will at least have food on the table for his family ; just like his parents. I have known his parents for the last 28 years as they are the neighborhood's handy store vendors. The hardworking pair managed to buy the shop lot through good planning and has today left a business to the son. I know the parents only have 6 years of basic education. But they are a good breed. They work hard for their children who though not academically inclined are at least wanting to continue the business. So did the son learn through hard experiences at college? Did he fail to make the grade? Is that why he is willing to man the business?

The bottom line is; who cares if he failed to make the expected grade? If he continues to be humble and sensible he will have a sustainable life style ; so needful for survival. He reminds me of my father. We are not to be fearful of a mundane business. We only need to be careful, wise and not wear too large a hat. It is good enough.

So to my students who think they can survive with the magic wand without effort in attitude at the least, I am afraid they may one day not find food on the table. Life is tough; that they must know and they will one day may just be asked : have you had your meal? ... they may not have had.

Make hay while the sun shines whether you be 16, 20 , 30 , 50 or like my father at 93.
Sustenance must be taught and practised.

No comments:

Post a Comment