Saturday 1 October 2011

Belly Dancing

Sports ?
Art?
Performance?

Call me conventional, old-fashioned and ill-informed.
I have never thought much of this fad; always considered it fit only for performers of the Middle-Eastern people. Belly dancing as an exotic entertainment for men and maybe for festive occasions such as weddings; nothing more.

Last week I learnt about my ignorance from my old friend, Dr. Sandra Scott.



My friend is in her late 50s. Look at her physique. Nothing comes easy in life.She works at it for looks and health. She told me she loves aerobics and exercising and goes to the gym for fierce workouts. But of all the workouts, she loves belly dancing a lot ! Yes, belly dancing? I thought the dance is only for the young and fit ? But no; she informs me otherwise.




So as we went along good old Petaling Street, this shop is a hit to her. At first glance, who would want to shop here? I recalled seeing such outfits for display too in Taipei. Sandra told me she was going in for some good products. Good products?

Belly dancing has elaborate outfits. This is the bedlah suit ; a fitted top richly decorated with beads, sequins, braid and embroidery.




The sales girl recommended this one.


Sandra next tried another part of the bedlah; this time the hip belt. It is a broad piece worn low on the hips usually having a straight edge and sometimes a curved or angled one.


This piece is pretty too.



Belly dancing besides being accompanied by elaborate outfits is also often done with accessories!


These accessories are worn on the hands, arms or even shoulders.

Then there is the harem-like pants or even the sequined skirt. This will compliment the bedlah top and hip belt. Belly dancing is not a cheap affair.



Sandra finally said that the above was her choice... a few hundred ringgit.



A true belly dancer will not forget this accessory; the belly ring.


We found this huge display at Sungei Wang Plaza and picking one is an effort. All look so good. Sandra, won't you have one too?


Who says she doesn't have one? She already has one! Great girl! My girl friend is out of this world. She tries the unconventional things and is creative !

A little reading into belly dancing tells me that it is a non-impact, weight-bearing exercise suitable for all ages. It is good for the prevention of osteoporosis in older people and improves the flexibility of the torso. Belly dancing moves are beneficial to the spine as the movements strengthens the entire column of both spinal and abdominal muscles in a gentle way.
Apparently dancing with the veil can help build strength in the upper body, arm and shoulders. Legs and long muscles of the back are strengthened by the movements.

How about it?
Want to try Belly Dancing?
Not yet for me though. I need to be convinced more thoroughly.
To my friend, may you enjoy the competition at the end of the year and win it !

1 comment:

  1. puan chong, how to find this shop? whats the shop name? n is it the price negotiable if wanna buy more pcs? tq

    ReplyDelete