Thursday 8 December 2011

The Chase

After The Mortarboard.

The moment a child comes into the world, the parents plot to their best an education programme for him. More often than not, the image of the mortar board comes into view. The new parents resort to all measures; education insurance, when to start play school, which medium of instruction, and finally deep at the recesses of the mind... what career to pursue.



To many the mortar board is a symbol of a mission completed; at least in a certain field of study. I must confess that I take great delight to savour in the success story of the hard work of my girls. I appreciate their sense of responsibility and their grit in completing what they started in. I am thankful for their being in partnership with me; completing our education mission together.


Not so long ago in 2008, we made a trip to Melbourne to attend a convocation ceremony at the University of Melbourne. It was an opportunity that I looked forward to; having heard about the prestigious institution of learning.


On that particular occasion, it was with great pride that our very own local boy, Hijjas Kasturi of the Malaysian Architectural scene was conferred the Honorary Doctorate Degree for his many architectural feats in Malaysia. Yea, a Malaysian being recognized for his works; the legendary figure must surely be an inspiration to aspiring architects.



Yes, Esther was part of the show having achieved her first architectural studies degree. But the dear mother was visibly upset on that auspicious day as I found it odd that something was missing from her crown... the mortar board.

" Lyn, are you sure you don't need to wear it? Hey, are you sure you are graduating?" I kept ranting until she said " Ask kor kor Ky Vern, ma"

The elder cousin brother who had graduated from the same institution confirmed that the Universtiy of Melbourne does not give bachelor's degrees holders the board. I find it difficult to understand but I did read that certain institutions allow mortar boards to be worn only at the masters and doctorates degree levels. So, gritty Esther goes through thick and thin to complete her studies again.

With a thankful heart full of gratitude to our loving God, I will go and witness the convocation ceremony again. This time she wears the mortar board.

Oh the mortar board that has plagued her for the last 3 years.
Finally; but at a great expense.

1 comment:

  1. I am constantly exploring online for articles that can aid me. Thank you. Auto Insurance Discounts

    ReplyDelete