Friday 8 June 2012

Changes

 Changes happen ; even in good old Muar.
Fronting  the Muar river is the new esplanade which used to be a mere pathway along the river front.
Yesterday's stroll along the esplanade reminded me of my younger days when I used to walk in the evenings after dinner. It is much neater and presentable today.


 It is perfect for rest and relaxation; just behind my father's shop.

 The covered seats provide shade in the hot afternoons. We never had such a facility before. The local council is doing a fine job.


 The jetty constructed is quaint and unique; picturesque.



 At the background is the half a century-old  bridge; a site where anglers try their catch in the evenings and mornings. It is also famous for locals taking their own lives when they are not able to find a way out. I used to hear eerie stories when I was a little girl.

Walking around the town, I noticed a new feature mushrooming. The local tastes have been upgraded and are into greater details and designs. My parents kept ranting the place is for the old and retirees; people don't make the buck here. They may be highly mistaken.



 A wedding boutique right in the heart of the town; I remember being simple and going to any tailor that could sew my 'cotton' wedding dress. I still hold dear to it. Nowadays brides ask for the world.



 Then I notice this dress boutique occupying a corner lot that used to be a hotel.

 Then there is this too;  a new boutique.

 A shoes boutique. The locals are into fashion alright. The town was pretty quiet throughout the day; I wonder how they manage.
There is one thing common though; all the boutiques are white.
Does white give them the right feeling?

 However right the feeling, these stalls should remain; they provide good breakfasts for the locals. They have been there ever since; ever since...


 This 'Teo Chew' delicacy stall must also never vanish; they reminded me of my grandmother who used to make them whenever I visited her. My grannie was a typical teochew who would only consume things made by her own self and kept her house clean everyday.
This stall must remain in Muar.
 
 
 Despite and in spite of all the changes happening, lanes of this pattern dot the townhouses. They remind me of my younger days when it was difficult to have a fridge, a television and a playhouse and so these lanes were typical spots for us children to meet, play and have fun.
We grew up just as well.

Muar.

No comments:

Post a Comment