Tuesday 6 March 2012

The Gap

Why are there gaps in life?
We have gaps in expectations, love, understanding and the greatest of them all perhaps is the generation gap.



Today English class was inundated with complaints, frustrations and disappointments from my 15 year old children. They tell me things which I hear with guilt and familiarity. They sound so real in my own life too except I refuse to acknowledge at some moments.

My mother always control my use of the internet; my mother must know all the names of the friends I go out with;I have to be back according to her timing, my mother likes to compare me with other counterparts; my mother wants to know EVERYTHING ! Oh mothers please... spare us.

Wow is that the cry from the heart or is it not? Are mothers altogether that cruel, heartless, bothersome and naggy? It depends. Mothers react and respond out of genuine concern and care. Children see it otherwise. Obviously a gap here. How do we settle here? Narrowing the gap perhaps is the best alternative; I believe.

Narrowing the gap will mean many times of apologies and a willingness to let things work out. It also means looking through the eyes of the other party and reflect. But what ever it is, 2 things will be in favour of the older generation; age and experience. Oh, I may hit a disagreement again. Being older doesn't guarantee greater wisdom...oh now you see how to bridge the gap?

Alright, personally I will resort to prayers and love. When I genuinely love, my decision will consider the other party with great care. I believe a good compromise will come out of it. In fact, it is my deepest belief that when you respond in good love, the best will prevail. I will also choose to believe that good seeds produce good children and whatever the differences may be, the right will prevail.

So my dear 3 Amanah children... obey your mothers and fathers !

1 comment:

  1. hey, Pn Chong, it is so nice to have you back!! ho

    ReplyDelete