Sunday 11 March 2012

Heidelberg

The Town

Sara told me I will be up at 4am for a week; that's jet lag. I told her it will not come true. But I was so very wrong. For the last 2 days, however much I want to be lost in the world of rest; sleep evaded me...and I am up at 4am. So here I am; dutifully blogging.

Saturday was interesting. We took the tram to the old town and had good surprises.



Nani and Sharifah; two doting mamas who followed along are young an energetic. They took the lead and led us around ...


Everything comes with a mission; I am trying my selling skill. Would you like a free invitation? I never knew how hard it was to convince people to take a card from you. That's how I behave too when I refuse to be bothered; not knowing I may be losing something.


This time the principal with her charming smile caught the attention of this lady; would you join us please? The lady was polite; she took the card.


That's the promise to merge in Malay; we are trying to merge with the local youths here in a concert. It's difficult to get the attention.

Yes, the choir is in town. Won't you come and hear us tomorrow?



After a practice in the music school, Imran on the extreme right and Soon Yee on the extreme left accompanied by the local counterparts are in town to distribute the cards; part of their treasure hunt game. Thanks to Esther.

Later we saw Yat Kuan and Naomi with another group scouring the town to accomplish part of the mission to extend the invitation.


The principal was glad to meet some Malaysian students from Bavaria taking a day trip here. Like all Malaysians; we gelled immediately.


Heidelberg is busy and buzzling with commercial activities. The weather was cooler than the previous day but lovely for the long hours of walk. In Malaysia it's impossible to walk in this manner for long hours; but we are compensated with the best of malls in the city...air-conditioned. In life we mix and match to get the the ultimate.

We saw tourists from different nationalities. Chinese, Koreans, Japanese, Indians and Middle Eastern ones; all enjoying the pleasant charm and dispositon of the town.

The town is adorned with buildings of centuries old; so old and yet still attracting millions of tourists; all thanks to German Kings and and their plans. They would not have known about the impact they gave to their nation. A leader's decision has many connotations down the generations. Doesn't that apply to life? Must learn to make good decisions.




The cool temperate climate means home to blooms unfound in tropical lands. The blooms are large and beautiful; so fragile but they seem to last forever here. So very beautiful.


Good creations of art are displayed and they caught the attention of many.



Mama Sharifah picked two pieces for her only daughter's room. If I were to pick for my second girl, she will probably tell me she can do it herself. Thank you.

We walked, trudged and scoured througth the town for many, many hours but it was a lovely time. We felt the charm of the town but I miss home. It takes skill to be a resident here; so quiet and there are no mamak stalls.

You see the ancient palace behind us ? So near and yet so far; we were denied entry because we were too late. But never mind, we will find the time for the Grand Heidelberg Palace.

Across the Neckar River is this steadfast bridge; another tourist attraction. But alas, we could only look from afar; our legs would not allow us the climb.


Interestingly we saw a barge ferrying scrap iron ; the river supports the town in big and small ways.


Across the other side of the Neckar River we see buildings which I associate with "The Sound of Music"...so European, Austrian and everything together in this part of the world. But they are different from our architecture back home.


Lovely Heidelberg; set in the midst of strong history and culture and home to the oldest university in Germany. Coincidentally, I noticed some students wearing the university's T-shirts and I wonder what are the courses which attract students... it must be engineering too.


That's Heidelberg Palace. I looked at the buildings surrounding it. Do the locals stay in them? Or are they only for commercial activities? How does one feel to be around the ruins of the Palace each day?

Tomorrow we will see the choir in action.

No comments:

Post a Comment