Sunday 20 November 2011

Syabas

Syabas
Acronym for...

Syarikat Bekalan Air Selangor Sdn Bhd

A pipe leaked just outside the gates of my house last month. You know the feeling; water oozing out of the ground and flowing down the road. It messed up the neighbours' porch too and the moment I saw it; I gave a call to Syabas. The usual details were taken down and I was promised the technician's presence in 48 hours.
When I reached home the next day after work, the leak was still there. I gave another call for the flow had become more intense and I was embarrassed to be connected to the leak.
I told the officer over the phone that I would be haunting them till the leak was repaired and added that I could not bear to see such misuse of public funds. It worked. You just have to use the right words and hit the nail.
I was pleasantly surprised to see effective measures taken. The huge lorry arrived and the road was dug to look for the leak... the water now oozed out like a fountain; but soon they managed to locate the leak and the stoppage began. I told Allie to serve them drinks; I was appreciative of their presence. It worked further. The technicians told me they would send another batch of contractors; this time to put back the tiles. Professional attitude ! Good feeling.
So another batch came the next day and tried their best. They could not place the tiles as good as it should be but the effort was commendable. So I left it at that. Sometimes it is not so good to drive people up the wall I thought. I should be thankful that I did not have to pay anything.

A month down the road I was further surprised by another gesture of pleasantry. A letter came in their official envelope; it must be the bill so I believed.

But no... it said otherwise.

Entitled Letter of Appreciation, it said the water department of the state is grateful that I had reported about the leak and that such cooperation is highly regarded by them. That really took me by surprise and daddy said that the future looks brighter for the nation now...hahaha.

Yes, affirmation is good.
Let's not allow some small mistakes to cover the larger picture in life.
Syabas.

No comments:

Post a Comment