Saturday 12 May 2012

My Mother

Mothers
A colleague came to me and asked for leave.
Quite naturally I asked : What for?
The answer evoked the emotional me.
Red-eyed, she reiterated that her mother is not getting any younger and she wants to give her dear mother a tour to another part of the world. I gave the green light without qualms.

Mother's Day is here again.
Every year a day is put aside to remind us of the woman who carried us tirelessly for 9 months and delivered us to this world. I am no exception. Today I remember many things that my mother has taught me from days of young till today. A mother's second nature is to teach and guide. Some call it nagging; others whatever...

Stories of my mother are many. But for this moment I want to recall the times when I shared enjoyment with her. You may not believe it but it is true. My mother taught me to appreciate the art in operas ! Oh my mother was crazily in love with operas and movies in her younger days. Being a seamstress and having to run a small business, she would steal time to visit cinemas at odd hours; the most common being after 9pm when she closed business for the day.
She is most sociable and made friends with the door keeper of the local cinemas as she was endearingly known as "nyonya" to Malay and Indian friends.I must confess something though.As she was always almost all the time late for the shows, the ticket counters would have been closed by then and so the door keepers were tipped to let her in...only when the ticket counters were closed ok.

My mother speaks Cantonese, Hakka, Teochew; all become reasons why I also speak them but more precisely it gave her reasons to watch operas of all dialects.I have watched hundreds of Chinese operas as I was her constant companion to the cinema. I can safely say that I am the only child she would just grab and tag along. This relationship my other siblings never had a chance.They were not interested. So this is a part of life I can claim ownership.

I enjoyed every moment and show. Some more famous ones like "The Kingdom and the Beauty" and "Liang Shan Po and Chu Ying Tai" were watched over and over again. The bond comes with the activity. We would share the songs and the story lines till today. This is also the reason why I can tolerate songs of all forms. I must thank my mother for nurturing this part of my creativity. 
My children would stuff cotton buds in their ears when I play them. They think that I am mad.But I don't think so...One man's meat is another man's poison.
So I am glad that I have developed a penchant for Chinese operas.

  
 When we were young, we were not very privileged. We had difficult times and my parents had to work very hard to sustain the family. How not to say thank you when through their sacrifices and right leading we are what we are today?
Besides playing behind backyards and lanes, where else could we park our activities? Of course the other activity which I can never forget are the visits to the local cinemas and opera shows! 
Every time I visit them in Muar these days, I choose to sleep with her in the nights. She would again share her teachings; is Grace doing well? Why is Esther not wanting to work yet? Is Sara faring fine? 
When Sara skyped, she had a monosyllable reply...kwai, kwai, kwai ( it means good girl) and her old eyes would shed tears.


 
 Dai Nui Fah

This is one opera which I have been to the cinema with my mother. Last Chinese New Year I played on the U tube for her. She was delighted and marvelled at the possibility of watching it over u tube.
She was so glad.
I was glad too to give her another opportunity to watch the love of her heart.

 This is another most watched one.

The Kingdom and the Beauty,

My mother is very creative. She has plenty of ideas and solutions for challenges in life.
She is open-minded and watches over her flock with great jealousy and love.

Thank you Por Por.
Happy Mother's Day.
When I go back next, I will play the opera for her again.


No comments:

Post a Comment