Tuesday 8 May 2012

The Quest

I want to go to the jungle.

When this girl told dad and I that she wanted to join Kyle (ex-Seafieldian) to build a house for the orang asli community in Batang Kali, I opened my mouth and uttered...aya you are only a char bor ngiah (a girl in Hokkien); don't try to be funny please. I could not fathom how a lass like her could use all those tools and went wild imagining the physical dangers she would go through.
But I could not win the battle. So; I learnt to listen and see her go through nights after nights of meeting for the construction of the house. I kept asking dad if she really could join in the manly tasks and survive.
One friday morning ; a few days before her birthday came and off she went to the site. I reluctantly see her go.


 

The video above shows some of the activities carried out when they built the abode for a particular orang asli family. What do you draw from here? Yes. I am proud of her decision to join a cause that brings meaning to others.I am also awakened to the fact that there are youths out there who care for others; who have learnt the gift of giving and sacrifice.This sacrifice is not only lip service; it involves manual, physical participation. So, can that char bor ngiah really take the challenge? Her heroic comrades all survived. She survived. Congratulations.
Was I glad she came home in one piece? I was not so glad when she burnt her back and the marks stay till this very day. Even grandpa Kong Kong commented...lu hitam hitam liow...(grown darker).
Well, I thought a job well done and that's it. But I was so wrong. The bug has caught her. It would not let her go.

So one Sunday evening in March, after picking her up from another Epic meeting she had a smile right across her lips and proudly said : Ma, I have been picked to lead the next team to build another home!
I was mad ; rather more worried if she could carry out such a manly job. She looks too fragile for it. Worst still, I was upset about the physical hurts and burns that she had to go through again.The fight was strong and she won by her tears.She wept at the prospect of not leading the job; she being unemployed at that juncture. I gave in on conditions that she wore long sleeves to cover herself and not putting herself into unnecessary dangers. She promised. That was the compromise. I realised that if I could not win the battle ; I would have to join in the battle.But of course she broke all rules and still got her ways!

So, this time she roped in Garrett and Hyon Xhi. I was glad; at least they were familiar names and I know they would look after her. So to site to build Epic Home 4 for Atan and family.


They built from the ground. The youths are a marvellous group; so full of energy and potential.

That's her again with a hammer and no long sleeved blouse...she told me she would be a caricature if she wore them.

That's the big cut; as expected. She imported those boots from overseas to go to site to build ...
such passion !

That's Garrett screwing nails...mama why is it I cannot get Garrett? It's already so late. You think the tigers came out to attack them? They can attack Der Lyn but not my boyfriend... trust No. 3 to mutter them when at 9 in the evening she still could not contact Garrett !




So, Esther told us that they finished Epic Home 4 in record time. They completed the project in 3 good days despite some unwanted down pours.The epic mania has caught the hearts and visions of helpful people who are ready to give some of their time to a cause which money cannot buy.

Well done Epic folks. To No.2; you may look meek but you surely have a mind of your own.Stay good.

No comments:

Post a Comment