Saturday 26 May 2012

The Little Hats

Cravings
Another term for the hats is the pai tee cups.
When you go pass The Chicken Rice Shops in malls, you will surely notice the pai tees for snacks.
Daddy has always a love for these little hats; way back then in the 80s whenever we visited Singapore, we would visit stalls famous for them.
Last night dad's craving for it reached the epitome; he insisted I COOKED them. How unreasonable can he be? But at the same time, I had no reason not to try to make them. I have been asking around for places to get the hats but with little success.
The google did wonders.
Find the recipe to concord.

 I found this blog;it gave simple and achievable steps. So I did not try to give up. I laboured  on with the help of dad of course who told me that he used to make those hats in his younger days with grandma Lau's recipe. He even inherited the mould!
So there was little choice but to bulldoze through.

 Simple.
100gm corn flour
60gm rice flour
60gm plain flour
a small egg
180-200gm water
a little salt
a little sugar

 Put everything into a mixing bowl and add water slowly. The mixture shown still needs some more water. It should be "runny" in texture.This is to avoid too thick a skin for the hats.

 Next, heat up enough oil.

 That's the mould dad inherited; to be dipped into hot oil for a while before it is ready to be dipped into the flour mixture.

 When well heated, dip the mould into the flour mixture. Make sure it is not fully covered to the top.

 The oil must be sizzling hot.

 When dipped for a little while,use the chopsticks to remove it from the mould. Not easy for the first few trys but you will get the hang of it after a while.

 Cute little hats floating on the oil.

 I can sell them now if I want.

 The ingredients for the filling include french beans, carrots , turnips and shrimps. Fry them till fragrant but at the same time do not allow it to be soggy.

 This is optional. But dad wants it. Lightly fry some groundnuts and pound them.

 This is also optional.Scrambled egg cut into thin strips for decor and taste.

 Does my pai tee snack look professional?
It tastes better than some of those in the malls; so said dad.
Now I can include a new recipe for parties.

Pai Tee for Sale.

2 comments:

  1. hey, Pn Chong, I will try yr pai tee recipe, but where to buy the mould? remember yr fish porridge, I also tried out, very nice. Do put more recipes.......tq. The snack is good for sale during school carnival too!

    ReplyDelete